The Superior Court has the authority to enforce punishment of contempt upon a party that does not abide by the court’s order. Contempt is the willful violation of court order. The willful failure to pay child support or the willful act of denying the other parent his/her parenting time are common examples of contempt. If a party is found in contempt, the Court has the discretion to order a punishment in order for the party to purge him/herself of the contempt.   The purge (or punishment) may include a civil fine (unlimited), imprisonment up to 20 days, reimbursement of costs and damages to the other party, make-up visitation time for denied parenting time, etc. While the Court has the authority to punish the party that is found in contempt, the Court does not have the authority to modify an Order in a contempt action.

Contact Us Today